Shop Local this Holiday Season!
The holiday shopping season is here and Equal Dollars Community Currency, the South Kensington Community Partners, The New Kensington CDC, Keep Philadelphia Beautiful, Fishtown Area Business Association and the Fishtown Neighborhood Association would like to remind you to support locally-owned businesses in your neighborhood! The Keepin’ It Local program encourages residents of South Kensington to participate in community service projects that will help them support their favorite local businesses as well as discover new ones in their own backyard.
Volunteer in South Kensington and get thanked with Equal Dollars!
Throughout 2013, the Equal Dollars team and our friends at SKCP, NKCDC and the FNA have organized a series of community cleanup opportunities around the South Kensington Business District so that you can choose how to get involved! Past service opportunities have included:
- Trash removal along Front St, Girard Ave, and other pockets of South Kensington
- Graffiti removal in front of storefronts and along business corridors
- Weeding, planting & watering at La Finquita urban farm (located at the corner of Lawrence & W. Masters Streets)
- Workshops on home composting, basic bicycle repair skills and more
As a “thank you” for your hard work, we offer our volunteers an Equal Dollars gratuity which they can spend at South Kensington businesses on specific local shopping days. Equal Dollars Community Currency is based around the community service efforts of our members and volunteers, and all Equal Dollars members are welcome and encouraged to come volunteer and get thanked with Equal Dollars!
Keep checking back to see how you can participate in our next Keepin’ It Local Day!
By joining the Keepin’ It Local initiative, local business owners are making an investment in their neighborhood and supporting a program that will help bring new business and a better outlook to the Kensington community.
- Philly Kid Grafix: Custom apparel printing & branding, 513 W. Girard Ave.
- M London Furniture: Factory sample furniture retail, 500 W. Girard Ave.
- Buzz Cafe: Coffee shop & bakery, 1800 N. Howard St.
- Trio’s Trattoria: Italian restaurant, 342 W. Girard Ave
- Kiddie Kouture: Children’s clothing & boutique, 217 W. Girard Ave.
- Little Shop of Dresses: New & gently used bridal boutique, 219 W. Girard Ave.
- El Cafeito: Cafe & Latin American cuisine, 1700 N. 3rd St.
- George’s Pizza: Pizzeria, lunch & take-out, 201 W. Girard Ave.
- The Fire: Bar and concert venue, 412 W. Girard Ave.
- Las Cazuelas: Fine Mexican cuisine, 426 W. Girard Ave.
- Wag the Dog: Dog walking & pet sitting services, contact Stephanie at 267-580-9740 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spot’s Spot: Pet grooming & supplies, 123 W. Girard Ave.
- Everybody Hits: Philadelphia’s ONLY indoor batting cages!, 529 W. Girard Ave.
- Al-Amana Grocery Store: Middle Eastern and Oriental food and catering, 1501 N. Germantown Ave.
- Poochie’s Place: Pet treats and grooming, 341 W. Girard Ave.
- Lange’s Coffeehouse: Cafe & Bakery, 113 W. Girard Ave.
To get involved, simply sign up to become an Equal Dollars member online! You can also sign up at the South Kensington Community Partners’ office located in the Finanta Building at 2nd & Thompson Streets.